Friday, November 7, 2008

The Palatal Expander

Ok.. So I think in my last blog I mentioned my 10 year old son, Walker. So he's a bright, smart 10 soon to be 11 year old boy who by all means is healthy and happy. So, it was somewhat of a suprise last spring when I took him to the dentist and she recommended he see an orthodontist because in her words "The kid doesn't have any room for more teeth and he's got a lot more that needs to come in." So, I knew this couldn't be good and that it would cost me money that frankly, I don't have to spend.




I put off making the call a for about a year until I ran across the Orthodontist business card in my purse. I gave them a call and set up an appointment. We walked into the office the first time and I was amazed at the number of kids and their parents crammed into this small lobby. There was only one chair left so Walker and I looked at each other and then he took off like a sprinter to the chair and sat down. For the first 10 minutes, I stood looking sort of stupid waiting for a child and parent to get called back for their appointment so I could have a seat. Luckily, things went pretty fast and I was able to sit down to only then stand back up two seconds later when they called us back.




The Orthodontist staff were wonderful. They took the time to go over all of the tools they use and make it less intimidating for Walker. The Orthodontist came over and took a look and just kept shaking his head. Again, couldn't be a good sign. The then started to explain that Walker didn't have enough room on his top for all of his permanent teeth and that they would need to "make room" for them by putting in an expander. He then went on to say that he felt the problem was more than likely caused by genetics. I was thinking WTF? My teeth came in very nicely and I only had to have braces to correct an overbite. What genetics? He then asked about Herb and his teeth. I did a mental head slap, WTH should I have asked about Herb's "genetic dental history" when we first met to see if we'd be compatable when it came time to have kids????




I just about fell on the floor when he told me what the cost for treatment would be! I was shocked. I have crappy dental insurance which only pays 1,000 lifetime max for orthodontic work so I knew I would have to pay the remaining $3800! I was shocked again when they gave me a payment plan which included an initial down payment of $860.00! I was told the the "high down payment" would enable me to have a "low monthly payment" of $140.00! By that time, I'm already in a tailspin thinking.... WTH how am I gonna come up with $860.00 in 30 days? Walker left the office excited about getting "a mouth full of metal" and I was still realling from the initial sticker shock!


Long story short, I managed to scrap together enough cash for the down payment by cashing in an old deferred compensation policy I had. We went yesterday and got the appliance put in and now my son talks like Daffy Duck! After the appointment I dropped him off at school. Later in the evening I asked how his day was and he replied "It was good but I can't talk very well and I couldn't eat my lunch, I guess it's like I'm going to be re-born again so I can learn to eat!"


So I'm attaching a picture of Walker's "appliance. I have to use a hook looking tool to crank it 2 times a day. This causes some pressure and pain and Walker is on a steady dose of Ibuprofen. (So much for the "say no to drugs" approach I had going the other day..)



By the way.. Herb thinks I'm crazy for putting our son through this and has accused me of liking to inflict pain on Walker to pay him back for child birth! I don't know why he would even think something like that! But it sure does look painful!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

OMG! Your blog makes me so nervous ... we've delayed Sean's orthodontic work too! My stomach is churning just thinking about the potential cost. YIKES!!!